With the Mississippi Primary Elections one week away, candidates will be extra busy getting their messages out. The race for the state’s 4th Congressional District has been overshadowed by the negative and heated race for U.S. Senate. However, the two favorites, Steven Palazzo and Gene Taylor, appear to be in a close race as well.
Taylor continues to bash Palazzo for his support of Biggert-Waters Act (which reformed flood insurance), voting against Hurricane Sandy Relief, while blaming him for recent defense cuts and a failure to hold town hall meetings. Taylor emphasizes that he has always had traditional Mississippi values and that his party change only reflects that the Democrat Party left him, not the other way around.
Palazzo has been running on his record that earned him recognition as the most conservative member of the U.S. Congress from Mississippi. Meanwhile, he has been busy painting Taylor as a liberal Democrat who supported Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), voted countless times for trillions in spending and the liberal agenda, and switched parties only because Democrats are not electable in the state.
The Sun Herald reports that the candidacies of Tom Carter, Ron Vincent, and Tavish Kelly may draw enough conservative votes away from Palazzo to force a run-off. Although he says he hasn’t done any polling, Taylor is predicting the same. Outsiders Carter, Vincent, and Kelly continue to say that neither Palazzo nor Taylor will do enough to cut spending and shrink the national debt. At least Taylor has admitted as much saying that “Mississippi needs those federal dollars.”
In what likely amounts to an inconsequential race, Democrats Matt Moore and Trish Causey have been pushing their agendas of LGBT and women’s rights, equal pay.
For more information:
The Blessings of Liberty has compiled a list of background information on every south Mississippi candidate in the 2014 Primary Election. They are listed below with a hyperlink to posts with their views and additional links.
Several Reform and Libertarian Party and Independent candidates are campaigning for the U.S. Senate and House but do not have Primary Elections. Information on those candidates will be posted in the future.
Mississippi has open Primaries; voters can vote in either Primary regardless of political party affiliation but cannot vote in both. The 2014 Primary Election in Mississippi is June 3rd.
Democrats for 4th Congressional District:
Democrats for U.S. Senate:
Republicans for 4th Congressional District:
Republicans for U.S. Senate:
More information will be posted at The Blessings of Liberty as it becomes available.
Tavish Kelly is co-owner of Kelly Firearms, a retailer and manufacturer of guns in Picayune and he believes that the protection of liberty is the only legitimate function of government. A former chairman of the Pearl River Republican Party, he has been very active in the county and state party activities.
Valedictorian of his Pass Christian High School class, he is an Eagle Scout, graduated from Mississippi State University with degrees in Political Science and Mathematics, and is studying Constitutional Law at Ole Miss.
The issues below issues and the positions are taken from Kelly’s campaign website:
- Abortion: Believes that life begins at conception and that abortion is a violent trespass upon another human’s rights. However, he does not think this is an area for the Federal government but for the states: “The Constitution contains no provisions enabling the Congress, President, or Supreme Court to regulate, allow, or forbid abortion. This power is thus reserved to the States and the people, respectively, under the Tenth Amendment.”
- The Federal Reserve: Does not like the Federal Reserve and wants to return competition back to the monetary system.
- 2nd Amendment: Sees the right to keep and bear arms as one of the most important freedoms and the 2nd Amendment should prevent any and all Congressional legislation infringing upon that right. Desires the repeal of laws such as the Firearms Act, Gun Control Act, and Brady Act.
- Patriot Act: Wants to repeal the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act as a violation/circumvention of the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
- Marriage: Believes it is the union of a man and a woman administered by God. Kelly sees that the regulation of marriage by government through various means has been corrupted by the political process. Desires to free governmental infringement in marriage and repeal of statutes that attempt to define and control it.
For more information:
The Mississippi Republican Party announced the candidates who applied to run for elected office in the 2014 Election cycle. The GOP must certify the potential candidates prior to the June 3rd Primary Election. The following candidates submitted the qualification paperwork by the March 1st deadline:
- Thad Cochran
- Chris McDaniel
- Thomas Carey
1st Congressional District:
3rd Congressional District:
- Gregg Harper
- Hardy Caraway
4th Congressional District:
- Steven Palazzo
- Ron Vincent
- Tom Carter
- Tavish Kelly
- Gene Taylor