There is no shortage of candidates for Mississippi’s 1st Congressional District seat which was vacated when Alan Nunnelee died in February. The following candidates qualified for the non-partisan special election on May 12th:
- Boyce Adams, Columbus businessman
- Sam Adcock, Columbus businessman
- Nancy Collins, State Senator
- Ed Holliday, Tupelo dentist
- Starner Jones, Pontotoc ER physician
- Trent Kelly, Saltillo District Attorney
- Chip Mills, Itawamba County prosecuting attorney
- Greg Pirkle, Tupelo attorney
- Henry Ross, Eupora attorney and former Mayor
- Daniel Sparks, Oxford attorney
- Mike Tagert, Northern District Transportation Commissioner
- Quentin Whitwell, Oxford attorney and former Jackson city councilman
- Walter Howard Zinn, Jr., Pontotoc attorney
Danny Bedwell, a businessman from Columbus, announced intentions to run but failed to qualify by gathering the required 1,000 signatures by the March 27th deadline.
If needed, a runoff election will be June 2.