A lawyer and former state Senator, Chris McDaniel is attempting to upset incumbent Sen. Thad Cochran to become the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate. The Christian Science Monitor listed McDaniel as the top candidate that could be “the next Ted Cruz.”
Representing Jones County in the Mississippi Senate since 2008, he is a Partner at Hortman, Harlow, Bassi, Robinson and McDaniel, PLLC, a general civil and trial practice in Laurel. McDaniel’s attorney profile lists his practice areas as general litigation, insurance defense, personal injury, commercial litigation, constitutional law (civil rights), education law, consumer products litigation, mass tort litigation, and complex multi-party litigation.
The following positions were taken from McDaniel’s campaign website:
- Healthcare: Volunteered his time in Mississippi’s suit against Obamacare. Opposed Medicare expansion, supports defunding, repealing Obamacare. Desires commonsense healthcare reform, increased choice, health savings accounts, and allowing insurance across state lines.
- Taxes: Believes the tax code is a mess and must be reformed. Supports scrapping the existing tax code and moving to a simpler, flatter tax system. [Stated in an interview with Bryan Fischer that he did know whether the Fair Tax or the Flat Tax was best.]
- Education: Desires to repeal No Child Left Behind, eliminate federal government control over education, and restore education to the states, local communities, and parents. Supports school choice. Opposes Common Core.
- Immigration: Opposes amnesty and supports enforcement of existing laws including securing the border. Introduced the Employment Protection Act to require all companies to check legal status of potential employees.
- Energy: Reduce foreign oil dependence by expanding domestic energy use. Supports offshore drilling, drilling in ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge), Keystone pipeline, and opposes subsidizing alternative energy forms.
- Agriculture: Unleash agriculture from federal regulations and control from Washington. Supports repealing the Death Tax in its entirety to enable the transfer of farms to children without penalty.
- Economy: Regulations are strangling jobs and small businesses. Washington is addicted to spending and our country is on the verge of financial crisis. Must cut spending, pass a Balanced Budget Amendment. Supports making permanent the temporary ban on earmarking.
- 2nd Amendment: Opposes all efforts to undermine the 2nd Amendment. Sponsored legislation that required the state to honor any valid concealed carry permit issued by another state.
- National Security: Will fight for the men and women of the military to ensure support in and out of uniform. Wary of engaging in foreign entanglements but acknowledges the need to remain vigilant of many threats. Wants to reevaluate foreign aid process. Will oppose all treaties that compromise American sovereignty. Committed to the U.S. military remaining the strongest in the world and will not appease our enemies.
- Abortion: Pro-life and believes in the responsibility to protect unborn life.
- Marriage: Believes marriage is between and man and a woman and will vote to protect that definition.
For more information: