Harrison County District 4 Supervisor William Martin was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home on February 25th. Martin had been indicted on bribery and related charges to which his attorney said he planned to plead guilty.
Martin is the second supervisor that will be replaced after Kim Savant resigned his District 2 seat in December 2014 for unrelated federal charges. The other county supervisors, Windy Swetman, Joe Meadows, Marlin Ladner, and Connie Rockco, will appoint a replacement to serve out Martin’s term. A special election is not required since this is an election year.
Four candidates have qualified to run for the District 4 seat in the November election.
For more information:
- District 4 Supervisor William Martin commits suicide as indictment unsealed
- Harrison County supervisors again forced to look for a replacement
- About Martin’s seat
- About William Martin
- Harrison County Board of Supervisors
- Harrison County Utility Authority contractor S.H. Anthony charged with conspiracy
- Former Harrison County supervisor Kim Savant pleads guilty to conspiracy charge
- Savant pleads guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bribery