Gov. Bryant announced a special election will take place May 12th to fill the 1st Congressional District seat that has been open since Rep. Alan Nunnelee’s death on February 6th. The winner of the special election will serve the remainder of the 2-year term which will end in 2017.
State Rep. Chris Brown has said he will run. Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert, businessman Quentin Whitwell, and attorney Chip Mills have expressed interest. Travis Childers, who formerly held the seat from 2008-2011, has yet to make an announcement. March 27th is the qualifying deadline.
For more information:
- May 12 election set to fill north Mississippi US House seat
- Gov. Bryant sets #MS01 special election for May 12
- #MS01 Field Starting to Take Shape
- Gov. Bryant to call Special Election
- MS Code § 23-15-853: Special elections to fill vacancies in representation in Congress