Tavish Kelly is co-owner of Kelly Firearms, a retailer and manufacturer of guns in Picayune and he believes that the protection of liberty is the only legitimate function of government. A former chairman of the Pearl River Republican Party, he has been very active in the county and state party activities.
Valedictorian of his Pass Christian High School class, he is an Eagle Scout, graduated from Mississippi State University with degrees in Political Science and Mathematics, and is studying Constitutional Law at Ole Miss.
The issues below issues and the positions are taken from Kelly’s campaign website:
- Abortion: Believes that life begins at conception and that abortion is a violent trespass upon another human’s rights. However, he does not think this is an area for the Federal government but for the states: “The Constitution contains no provisions enabling the Congress, President, or Supreme Court to regulate, allow, or forbid abortion. This power is thus reserved to the States and the people, respectively, under the Tenth Amendment.”
- The Federal Reserve: Does not like the Federal Reserve and wants to return competition back to the monetary system.
- 2nd Amendment: Sees the right to keep and bear arms as one of the most important freedoms and the 2nd Amendment should prevent any and all Congressional legislation infringing upon that right. Desires the repeal of laws such as the Firearms Act, Gun Control Act, and Brady Act.
- Patriot Act: Wants to repeal the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act as a violation/circumvention of the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
- Marriage: Believes it is the union of a man and a woman administered by God. Kelly sees that the regulation of marriage by government through various means has been corrupted by the political process. Desires to free governmental infringement in marriage and repeal of statutes that attempt to define and control it.
For more information: