As the incumbent representing Mississippi’s 4th Congressional District, there is much written and in the news concerning Rep. Steven Palazzo. Completing his second term in office, Palazzo originally defeated former Rep. Gene Taylor in the 2010 elections when the Tea Party was rising to prominence.
A former U.S. Marine and currently serving in the Mississippi National Guard, he is no stranger to the military or the issues that affect national defense. He is also a Certified Public Accountant and owns his own business.
From his website, here are Palazzo’s position on various issues:
- Obamacare: Has voted to defund, repeal, replace, and delay multitude of times and will continue to do so. Obamacare increases healthcare costs and insurance premiums, hurts the quality of healthcare, has added numerous taxes and increased the national debt.
- Flood Insurance: Successful in passing legislation that restores grandfathered rates and building codes; removed the home sale trigger that would drastically increase flood insurance premiums.
- National Security: The wellbeing of those who serve and have served in the military is a top priority. Wants to immediately fix and restore cuts to military retirees that happened in the past 2 years. Will continue to lead the fight to keep shipbuilding at Ingalls as those jobs are vital to the Gulf Coast economy.
- Taxes: High taxes and spending are out of control. Limited resources must be wisely used and entitlement programs must be controlled.
- Economy: Congress needs to focus on promoting economic growth for the country. Will continue to fight for legislation that fixes health care, relieves gas prices, reduce regulations, and restore employment.
- 2nd Amendment: Hunting and fishing are a way of life in South Mississippi and the 2nd Amendment is more than just hunting. Supports the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act and Protecting Gun Owners in Bankruptcy Act which will allow guns to be exempt from estate in bankruptcy.
- Environment: Supports the RESTORE Act which restores Mississippi’s natural resources, fisheries and coastal wetlands including the economic health of coastal communities adversely affected by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill through a trust fund paid for with Clean Water Act fines.
For more information:
- Steven Palazzo for Congress
- FACEBOOK: Steven Palazzo U.S. Congress
- Interview on Gulf Coast Mornings
- Voting Record from Project Vote Smart