Bill Marcy is no stranger to politics. Marcy ran unsuccessfully for Mississippi’s 2nd Congressional District against Bennie Thompson twice as a Tea Party Republican.
Describing himself as “a conservative with Libertarian leanings” On NewsRadio 104.9’s Gulf Coast Mornings, Marcy said, “I am not happy with the Democratic or Republican Party.” When asked about his switch from Republican to Democrat, Marcy stated, “We switched so that we could bring in the black base. We are very open about that. Black folks just won’t vote for a Republican. . .”
If successful, Marcy would become the first black Senator from Mississippi since 1881.
Marcy spells out his positions on his 2012 campaign website as follows:
- Economy: The tax and spend mentality of our President and the Democrat-led congress is making it harder to create new private industry jobs. The only way out of this recession is to permanently lower taxes and cut the size of government. Opposes the 1993 NAFTA agreement.
- Taxes: Believes the tax burden is abusive and has been used for political reward or punishment. Willing to pay for constitutional items such as national defense, bridges and highways but not pork. Supports the Fair Tax plan.
- Bail-outs: Against bailing out people or businesses that created the current economic crisis. Believes that no one and nothing is “too big to fail”.
- Education: Wants to requires all students to study the U.S. Constitution. Supports education vouchers to drive competition to improve quality education; tax dollars should follow the given child, not the schools.
- Drug Legalization: Supports legalizing marijuana use for adults.
- Defense: Believes in a strong national defense as this is the first responsibility of government as outlined in the U.S. Constitution.
- Energy: “Drill here, Drill Now!” Incredulous that U.S. policy does not take advantage of domestic resources.
- Health Care: Does not believe our health care system is broken but the best in the world; Against the takeover of healthcare under Obamacare which has destroyed full-time jobs. Supports Health Savings Accounts. Wants to guarantee insurance portability from job to job and across state lines. Supports tort reform to reduce cost of healthcare.
- Immigration: Wants to enforce existing laws. Supports legal immigration but need to secure the borders not only to prevent illegal immigration but to prevent terrorists from entering.
- Abortion: “[A]bortion is really the killing of unborn children.”
- Marriage: Supports the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman.
- 2nd Amendment: “[G]uarantees law-abiding citizens’ right to bear arms. This is not up for debate.”
- 10th Amendment: Believes the need for a limited central government with most everything delegated to the states.
For more information: