In rebuttal to Chris Chocola’s March 18th op. ed. in the Sun Herald, former Gov. Haley Barbour wrote Cochran’s foes don’t know Pascagoula from Pontotoc.
Stating that Chocola’s opinion was full of half-truths and hypocrisy, Barbour started with his own. Barbour states “I expected as much when I read the headline, ‘Thad Cochran is a liberal'” when the headline actually said, “Thad Cochran has a liberal record.”
That aside, Gov. Barbour brings out the following points:
- Chocola (U.S. Representative for Indiana from 2003-2007) voted for every debt ceiling increase that Thad Cochran voted for during that time.
- Club for Growth helped oust then Sen. Dick Lugar (R-IN) in the 2012 Republican Primary which was ultimately filled by a Democrat in the General Election.
- Sen. Cochran had out-dated disaster assistance laws updated after Hurricane Katrina.
- Sen. Cochran has voted against Obamacare every chance a bill came to the Senate floor. Chocola claimed that Cochran’s vote to reopen the federal government was a vote for Obamacare.
Barbour’s op.ed. is finished with the following:
[Sen. Cochran] was the giant who stood tall and produced for our state at our greatest hour of need after Katrina. . . The great news is Thad is line to be chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee if Republicans win control of the Senate. . . He will again be able to ensure Mississippi [is] treated fairly and the runaway spending of the Obama Administration is stopped. . .
For more information:
- HALEY BARBOUR: Cochran’s foes don’t know Pascagoula from Pontotoc
- CHRIS CHOCOLA: Thad Cochran has a liberal record in the U.S. Senate