The Miss. Senate confirmed Carey Wright as the State Superintendent of Education on March 19th despite her support for Common Core. Common Core is a national educational curriculum and standard promoted by the Obama Administration. The Senate voted 46-6 to confirm Wright.
The Mississippi State Board of Education approved Common Core-aligned curricula in February. The standards were adopted in 2010 but 2014-2015 school year will be the first year that the curriculum and testing aligned with them.
For more information:
- McDaniel balks Senate Conservative Coalition, Common Core opponents to confirm Ed Supt. Wright
- State Board of Education OKs Common Core
- Common Core: The Latest Flaw in One-Size-Fits-All Public Schools
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
- Who’s Behind the Common Core Curriculum?
- The History of Common Core Standards